Tuesday, August 6, 2013

More Support For Radical Causes

You probably saw it already, but the decision to put Jane Austen on the ten pound note in England has inspired a vicious backlash that has included tweeted rape threats aimed at those women who campaigned for the decision.

Good grief.

As former residents of the United Kingdom and long-time fans of Jane Austen, we here at the Monkey heartily endorse putting her picture on whatever the British feel like putting it on.

I'd tell you to now tweet your worst, but I don't know how to read Twitter. If you want to threaten me, you'll have to do it the old-fashioned way, with a handwritten note mailed to me in care of my publisher. (Actually, I don't have a publisher—send it to the local police station instead.)

Have at it.

P.S. As suggested by bellotoot's comment:

4 comments:

Bellotoot said...

Jane Austen? What a relief! I thought they said John Astin!

Mythical Monkey said...

They can put Gomez Addams on my money anytime!

Bellotoot said...

For that ten pound note I'd steal the Bank of England plates!

(Which way to Dr. Samuel Johnson's house?)

Mythical Monkey said...

The plates? How about the cups and saucers?